Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Into the Unknown and Unexpected!!

I've been going along on this Christian journey for a long time! I am fully committed to Jesus! But, apparently, my journey hit a snag; one that caused others to wonder about my faith. Suddenly, I began to follow the Torah! Had I converted to Judaism? Had I become a Pharisaical legalist? The answer to these questions is a resounding, "No!" But let me explain.

I was totally convinced about Christianity and its truth. However, I had one bugaboo. I couldn't understand "Christian Liberty." I had a feeling that the way Christians taught it and lived it could not be accurate. Christian liberty seemed like a legitimization of sin to me.

Christian liberty, as it is sometimes explained, means that Christians are no longer obligated to follow the Torah, or the so called Law of Moses (Romans 3:20-22). Yet, the Torah has many verses that speak of the eternality of God's laws. For example:

Exodus 29:9 (KJV): And thou shalt gird them with girdles, Aaron and his sons, and put the bonnets on them: and the priest's office shall be theirs for a perpetual statute: and thou shalt consecrate Aaron and his sons.

Exodus 31:16 (KJV): Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

But how could I believe contrary to all the theologians that have taught, throughout most of Church history, that Jesus had done away with the Law? Initially, I felt compelled to "go along," that  my understanding was incorrect. However, it continued to rub me the wrong way. Would God ever make this concept clear in my mind? Would I come to terms with this teaching?

If you've ever had an issue with Christian liberty, please let me know! I would love to hear from you! Stay tuned for part 2 to see where the Lord took me!


No comments:

Post a Comment