Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Home Churching Update

When I asked the question as to whether or not it is OK to home church I was really torn about the answer. There are Scripture verses that point to an obligation to meet with fellow believers (See "Is it OK to Home Church"), but I wasn't totally comfortable in any of the churches around me.

However, God is so good! As I was writing about the history of the Sabbath, I came upon the following verses:

Acts 16:12-13 (KJV)
12 And from thence to Philippi, which is the chief city of that part of Macedonia, and a colony: and we were in that city abiding certain days.
13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.

This passage is describing Philippi, a city that Paul visited in his travels. As was his custom, he would spend his Saturday Sabbaths in the synagogues. However, Philippi did not have a synagogue. Apparently, there were not enough Jewish men in order to have one. So the Jewish or God-fearing women would meet at the river side and pray.

It dawned on me that the women were not there to simply pray together as Christians usually think of prayer. But rather, they would have been engaged in a prayer service, a structured time of recitation of Jewish prayers. They were literally doing the Saturday Sabbath without the walls and other trappings of the synagogue. These women were doing what they could given the situation they were in.

I found this passage to be so relevant to my own circumstances. While I could attend an acceptable Sunday church, none of them would satisfy my soul. Home churching meets the need that I have.

I've also thought about the growing apostasy that exists in the church. More and more churches are preaching a watered-down message, are allowing sin to exist in the church body, and are actually beginning to stray from sound doctrine. At some time, I believe that many Christians will find themselves in situations where no acceptable church exists in their area. They will likely find themselves in the same position that I am in now, although for different reasons. In any case, when a church body is not available, the only thing that you can do is home church.

Hopefully, soon, I will find others to worship with, whether that is in a formal church, or in a home where there are other like-minded believers. Until then I think my home churching is the best thing that I can do.


2 comments:

  1. Jesus said "Where 2 or 3 gather in my name, there shall I be among them." - church can really be as small as this.

    Have you already found a place to worship during Shabbat?

    BTW I think a lot of Christians are somehow unsatisfied with their church, we are all different, we like another type of music etc., but we should realize that the main purpose of a "holy convocation" is to praise God. We can do that together with 1 or 2 other people or in a bigger community, it doesn't really matter as long as His name is glorified. But sadly there seem to be so many Christians out there who still think it's OK to stay alone at home (I don't mean you), but if they don't have anyone to talk to about faith, the faith cannot really grow, or even worse: Satan can mislead them in many ways.

    God bless and a happy Shabbat!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan, for your comment. My son and I are still alone in our worship. I continue to feel that the choices around us are not quite what we need, so we remain alone. I agree with everything you say, so we are trying to be very careful to maintain a Biblical foundation.

      Blessings to you and Shabbat Shalom!

      Delete