Friday, August 24, 2012

Our Surprising God!

This week I had an interesting experience where I learned again that God is not just a God out there, but that he cares deeply for His children and always does what is best for us.

My 17 year old son had been looking for a job since about April. The search was rather half-hearted until May when his junior year was completed. But after that point a serious search began. Because I wanted him to be able to go to college without debt I knew that finding a job was imperative. Yet, week after week passed and even though he had a few interviews he received no offers. It seemed like there were too many applicants and too many who had experience. No one seemed to want to take on my son.

Well, being a Christian who solidly believes in the power of prayer, I began to pray earnestly for a job to be provided. Many of my prayer partners began to pray as well. He was so covered in prayer that it seemed impossible that the summer was progressing and there was no job.

I began to panic. What if he couldn't get a job? What if we couldn't afford college, etc, etc.? I kept saying to myself, "I trust you God, I know you will provide." Still, there was no job. Then it dawned on me, that if I really trusted God I would not be worried. I realized that truly I had not been trusting in God's care of our family. I also knew that I wasn't going to be completely able to dismiss my fears, but with this understanding I could at least begin to give that worry over to God. I told myself that even if the boy never got a job until he finished college that would be ok.

As this week began the job search continued. Monday he applied at a nearby fast food place. He had an interview on Tuesday and was hired on Wednesday. His first day of work was yesterday.

The amazing thing about this is that he was able to enjoy a completely free summer, something that he probably will never experience again. I learned a lesson in trusting God. Plus, my son started a job the very week before he was to head back to school. I think God has quite a sense of humor.


No comments:

Post a Comment