Sunday, November 25, 2012

Finding the Good Part

I am exhausted and it's my own fault!

My oldest daughter, her husband, and baby daughter were coming for a visit over Thanksgiving. It had been a couple of months since we had seen them. My youngest daughter, her husband, and baby son were also coming for our Thanksgiving meal, although they live close by and we see them relatively often. This made for a hugely exciting, wonderful, anticipated time of family.

So for three days before Thanksgiving I cleaned and prepared for the holiday. However, life didn't stop because of the upcoming event, so I had all the normal busyness besides. Then, because of some personal issues before hand, I was already in a stressed state. By the time Thanksgiving came I was tired. Well, having two six month old babies in the house, lots of food to cook (Thank goodness my husband does about half the cooking in our house!), math to help my son with, and all the excitement (I took zillions of pictures), I never seemed to fully relax and truly enjoy the wonderful family time that was all around me. We even got to watch some fun TV, play a couple of games, and watch the two little cousins interact with each other. Yet, I remained on edge.

Why does this happen? I was reminded of Mary and Martha and how in Luke, Yeshua gave some loving advice to Martha.

Luke 10:40-42 (KJV)
40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.


Mary had chosen to sit at Yeshua's feet while Martha had been so consumed with providing hospitality that she hadn't enjoyed being around Yeshua. This was so like my being consumed with all the stresses in my life that I couldn't seem to enjoy my family. I even saw it happen and couldn't seem to disengage from the extraneous details. I, too, needed to learn how to choose the good part!

Obviously, I am a work in process. One day I hope to be more like Mary.  In the meantime, I need to make that a conscious action rather than letting my circumstances determine what I'm focused on. And God will help if I focus on Him.

Lastly, I thought about how Shabbat (Sabbath) crept in on Friday night, continued on Saturday, and then crept out on Saturday night oh, so quietly. God had been there reminding me of His presence and His love for me despite my Martha-ness.

Love your family, enjoy each loved one, and embrace the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Choose the good part!

No comments:

Post a Comment